Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs and Blu-rays (and hot-off-the-server VODs), and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
NEW ON HOME VIDEO:
Psychopaths (2017): Buy Psychopaths.brings us a “psychedelic fever dream” of four maniacs possessed by the spirit of a serial killer, let loose on a one-night rampage. Reviews were generally of the “we’re glad they tried something different, but…” variety. DVD & VOD.
The World of Tomorrow Episode Two: The Burden of Other People’s Thoughts (2017): original short is again based on the ramblings of his (now-five-year-old) niece. “When all the weird mismatched audio puzzle pieces finally found ways to fit i was astonished at the picture that formed,” says the director. Available exclusively on Vimeo.‘s sequel to his Oscar-nominated
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Bloomington, IN, 1/8 – The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). At Indiana University Cinema.
- Boston, MA, 1/6 – Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971). With children’s author Melissa Stewart. At Coolidge Corner Theater.
- Denver, CO, 1/7 – El Topo (1970). At Alamo Drafthouse.
- Denver, CO, 1/10 – The Tree of Life (2011). At Alamo Drafthouse.
- Nashville, TN, 1/10 – Inherent Vice (2014). At the Belcourt Theater.
- New York City, NY, 1/5 – Inherent Vice (2014). At the Metrograph.
- New York City, NY, 1/5 – 1/6 (midnights) – Spider Baby (1967). At Nitehawk Cinema.
- New York City, NY, 1/5-1/11 – Spirited Away (2001). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 1/5-1/11 – Vertigo (1958). Screening in a double feature with ‘s The Green Fog. Maddin in attendance 1/6. At IFC Center.
- New York City, New York, 1/6-1/7 – Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971). At Nitehawk Cinema.
- New York City, NY, 1/8 – La Grande Bouffe (1973). At Spectacle Theater.
- Vancouver, BC, Canada – The Man Who Fell to Earth (1976). At the Rio Theater.
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.