Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs and Blu-rays (and hot off the server VODs), and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
IN THEATERS (LIMITED RELEASE):
Out of Blue (2018): A female cop investigating the death of an astrophysicist gets sucked into a mindbending quantum mystery. Early notices have been mixed, but the L.A. Times‘ Justin Chang praised its “low-key Lynchian weirdness.” Out of Blue official site.
Relaxer (2018): Read Giles Edwards’ List Candidate review. Joel Potrykus‘ minimalist tale of a slacker challenged to set a Pac Man world record without moving from his couch gets the usual limited release from Oscilloscope Labs. Relaxer official site.
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975). We won’t list all the screenings of this audience-participation classic separately. You can use this page to find a screening near you.
- Baltimore, MD, 3/27 – Mandy (2018). At the Senator.
- Kansas City, MO, 3/27 – The Devils (1971). At the Stray Cat Film Center.
- Kansas City, MO, 3/28 – Branded to Kill (1967). At the Stray Cat Film Center.
- Los Angeles, CA, 3/23-24 –Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) with Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life (1983) (double feature). At the New Beverly Cinema.
- Nashville, TN, 3/23 (midnight) – House [Hausu] (1977). At the Belcourt.
- New York City, NY, 3/22-23 – Trash Humpers (2009). At the Metrograph.
- New York City, NY, 3/22-24 – Pierrot le Fou (1965). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 3/22-3/23 (midnights) – Mulholland Drive (2001). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 3/24-25 – Gummo (1997). At the Metrograph.
- Oakland, CA, 3/22 – Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010). At the New Parkway Theater.
- Toronto, Ont., Canada, 3/24 – Cemetery Man [Dellamorte Dellamore] (1994). At the Royal.
FREE (LEGITIMATE RELEASE) MOVIES ON TUBI.TV:
Donnie Darko (2001): Read the Canonically Weird entry! As we speak, Richard Kelly‘s messed-up, convoluted, 80s-as-hell time-travel cult classic is battling with Pan’s Labyrinth to move on to the round of 64 in our Mad Movie March Madness tournament; maybe this free screening will push Donnie over the edge? Watch Donnie Darko free on Tubi.tv.
WHAT’S IN THE PIPELINE: Next week we’ll enter the round of 64 of our March Mad Movie Madness tournament (as of this writing, there’s still time to vote in part 1 and part 2 of the round of 128).
We will also have two or three reviews, but we’re keeping the titles secret for now (because we’re not quite sure what will be ready).
Onward and weirdward!
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.