Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs, and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
IN THEATERS (LIMITED RELEASE):
Lucky: The adventures of a crusty 90-year old atheist living his final years in a quirky desert town. Probably not very weird but certainly offbeat, featuring the last screen performance of cult icon Lucky official site.and a rare acting role for .
FILM FESTIVALS – Beyond Fest (Los Angeles, 9/29-10/10):
LA’s Beyond Fest usually features revivals of classic genre fare (which we’ve listed in our “repertory screenings” section) mixed in with recent hits from other festivals like the Sequence Break (Oct. 8), Uganda’s madcap Bad Black (Oct 10), and The Killing of a Sacred Deer (the Oct. 10 closing film). We like their taste. Although they rarely land debuts, this year they do have one item of some interest:
- Best F(r)iends – The Room (also screening at Beyond Fest); whether they can recapture the “magic” remains to be seen, but Wiseasu is never ordinary. Sep 30, in a double feature with The Room, with Wiseau, Sestero and Justin MacGregor in attendance. Understandably, it is sold out already. and Greg Sestero reunite for a followup to
NEW ON DVD:
David Lynch: The Art Life (2016): Documentary about 366 fave Buy David Lynch: The Art Life., focusing on his formative years and on his painting. We’re (pleasantly) surprised that the Criterion Collection snapped up this one, though they bring few extra features this time (an interview with the director is the only item of note).
NEW ON BLU-RAY:
David Lynch: The Art Life (2016): See description in DVD above. Buy David Lynch: The Art Life [Blu-ray].
Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978): Read our review. If you’re a fan of all-star flop musicals on Blu-ray, have we got a deal for you! Buy Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band [Blu-ray].
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Bloomington, IN, 10/5 – Heavenly Creatures (1994). At Indiana University Cinema.
- Columbus, OH, 9/29-9/30 – Fantastic Planet [La Planète Sauvage] (1973). 4K restoration. At Gateway Film Center.
- Columbus, OH, 10/1-10/5 – Jacob’s Ladder (1990). At Gateway Film Center.
- Columbus, OH, 10/1-10/4 – Vertigo (1958). At Gateway Film Center.
- Los Angeles, 9/29 (midnight) – The Holy Mountain (1973). At the Nuart Theater.
- Los Angeles, 10/1 – Phantom of the Paradise (1974). With in attendance. Sold out; standby only. At the Egyptian Theater.
- Los Angeles, 10/1 – Suspiria (1977). Q&A after with Dario Argento, , and Barbara Magnolfi. Two showings: 7:00 and 10:00; the early screening is sold-out and standby only. Part of Beyond Fest. At the Egyptian Theater.
- Los Angeles, 10/2 – Suspiria (1977) and Opera (1987) (double feature). With Dario Argento, Barbara Magnolfi and William McNamara. Sold out; standby only. Part of Beyond Fest. At the Egyptian Theater.
- Nashville, TN, 9/19-10/1. Suspiria (1977). At the Belcourt.
- New York City, 9/29-10/3 – Stalker (1979). At IFC Center.
- New York City, 9/29-9/30 (midnights) – The Holy Mountain (1973). At IFC Center.
- New York City, 9/30 (midnight) – Paprika (2006). At Nitehawk Cinema.
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.