Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs, and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
IN THEATERS (LIMITED RELEASE):
Dave Made a Maze (2017): Dave builds a pillow fort in his living room and then gets lost inside its maze of booby-trapped corridors; his girlfriend assembles a team to go in and rescue him. The rare film to debut at the low-budget Slamdance festival and still earn a relatively wide release. Dave Made a Maze official site.
Lemon (2017): An unsuccessful, socially-inept jerk actor loses his blind girlfriend and finds a new interracial relationship in this indie comedy. Probably more in the quirky vein, but at least one critic called it “deeply weird.” Lemon official site.
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Columbus, OH, 8/18-8/23 – 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). At Gateway Film Center.
- Columbus, OH, 8/23-8/24 – Suspiria (1977). At Gateway Film Center.
- New York City, 8/18 – Blue Velvet (1986). At Videology Bar & Cinema.
- New York City, 8/18 (midnight) – The Horrors of Spider Island [Ein Toter hing im Netz] (1960). At Spectacle Theater.
- New York City, 8/18 – 8/21 – Stalker (1979). At IFC Center.
- New York City, 8/18-8/24 – 3 Women (1977). At Film Society of Lincoln Center.
- New York City, 8/23-24 – Tekkonkinkreet (2006). With a live score by Rachika S. At Videology Bar & Cinema.
- Silver Spring, MD, 8/19 – Evil Dead II (1987). At AFI Silver Theater.
- Silver Spring, MD, 8/19, 21 & 24 – House [Hausu] (1977). At AFI Silver Theater.
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.