Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs, and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
NEW ON DVD:
Bag Boy Lover Boy (2014): An art photographer specializing in “unusual” human specimens takes a slow-witted hot dog vendor for his muse. It’s got a grimy, shot-in-NYC grindhouse feel to it. Buy Bag Boy Lover Boy.
Ghost in the Shell (2017): Read Shane Wilson’s capsule review. You’re better off with the animated original, unless you just really want to see Scarlett Johansson in a skintight bodysuit. Buy Ghost in the Shell.
NEW ON BLU-RAY:
Bag Boy Lover Boy (2014): See description in DVD above. Buy Bag Boy Lover Boy [Blu-ray].
Ghost in the Shell (2017): See description in DVD above. Buy Ghost in the Shell [Blu-ray].
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Columbus, OH, 7/28 – Blue Velvet (1986). At Gateway Film Center.
- Los Angeles, CA, 7/28 (midnight) – Santa Sangre (1989). At the Nuart Theater.
- Los Angeles, CA, 7/30 –Prospero’s Books (1991). Part of a double feature with The Draughtsman’s Contract. There will also be a panel discussion about the films. At the Egyptian Theater.
- New York City, NY, 7/28 – Rubin & Ed (1991). At Spectacle Theater.
- New York City, 7/28-8/2 – Suspiria (1977). Uncut. At the Metrograph.
- New York City, NY, 7/28-8/3 – Stalker (1979). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 8/1 – Donnie Darko (2001). At the Museum of Modern Art.
- New York City, NY, 8/3 – Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (1970). Part of the “Fashion and Film” series. At Nitehawk Theater.
- Silver Spring, MD, 7/28, 8/1-8/3 – Possession (1981) (director’s cut). Also playing: On the Silver Globe on 7/29-30. At AFI Silver Theater.
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.