Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs and Blu-rays (and hot off the server VODs), and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
NEW ON HOME VIDEO:
Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988): Read our review. Minor, but kulty, spoof of 50s alien invasion horrors, with klowns replacing little green men. Arrow Video puts out a typically lavish Blu-ray with numerous interviews, deleted scenes, and new transfers of the Chiodo brothers’ early 8mm shorts. Buy Killer Klowns from Outer Space.
Scanners (1981): This horror about telepaths who can explode your head with a though is not one of Buy Scanners.‘s weirder efforts; we actually mention this release more because of the inclusion of his experimental student film Stereo (which is set at the “Canadian Academy for Erotic Inquiry”) as a bonus feature. Criterion released the DVD in 2014; four years later, here’s the Blu-ray.
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Dallas, TX, 3/30-3/31 – Belle de Jour (1967). At the Texas Theater.
- Los Angeles, CA, 3/30 (midnight) – Belladonna of Sadness (1973). At the Nuart Theater.
- Los Angeles, CA, 4/5 – Nostalghia (1983). At the Egyptian Theater.
- Silver Spring, MD, 3/31, 4/1, 4/3, 4/5 – Donnie Darko (2001). Theatrical cut, thankfully. At AFI Silver Theater.
- Nashville, TN, 4/3 – Persona (1966). At the Belcourt Theater.
- Nashville, TN, 4/4 – Hour of the Wolf [Vargtimmen] (1968). At the Belcourt Theater.
- New York City, NY, 3/30-4/1 – The Wicker Man (1973). The “final cut” version. At the Metrograph.
- New York City, NY, 4/1 – The Company of Wolves (1984). At the Metrograph.
- New York City, NY, 4/1-2, 4/4 – Vertigo (1958). At the Metrograph.
- Seattle, WA, 3/30-4/5- Howl’s Moving Castle (2004). At Ark Lodge Cinemas.
- Tuscon, AZ, 4/5 – Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012). At the Loft Cinema.
- Yonkers, NY, 4/3 – Vertigo (1958). Free screening for Victory program members (only?). At the Alamo Drafthouse.
FREE MOVIES ON TUBI.TV:
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.