Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs and Blu-rays (and hot off the server VODs), and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
NEW ON HOME VIDEO:
Gothic (1986): Read the Certified Weird entry! Ken Russell‘s laudanum dream about the night Mary Shelley conceived “Frankenstein” has never had a respecable home video release—until now. On Blu-ray or VOD. Buy Gothic.
Jamón, Jamón (1992): A mother hires an aspiring underwear model to seduce her son’s fiance. Sexy, surreal, and one of the first films for future stars Buy Jamón, Jamón.and Javier Bardem. DVD and/or Blu-ray.
Napping Princess (2017): In the near future a student discovers that the secret to freeing her arrested father may lie in her dreams of a science fantasy kingdom. Light, whimsical dream anime on DVD, Blu-ray and VOD. Buy Napping Princess.
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Dallas, TX, 2/3 – El Topo (1970). At the Texas Theater.
- Dallas, TX, 2/3 – The Holy Mountain (1973). At the Texas Theater.
- Dallas, TX, 2/4 – The Dance of Reality (2013). At the Texas Theater.
- Grand Rapids, MI, 2/2-2/6 – The Love Witch (2016). At UICA.
- Los Angeles, CA, 2/3-2/8 – Stalker (1979). At the Nuart Theater.
- New York City, NY, 2/2 (midnight) – Videodrome (1983). At Videology Bar & Cinema.
- New York City, NY, 2/2-2/3 (midnights) – Eraserhead (1977). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 2/2-2/3 (midnights) –Zardoz (1974). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 2/2-2/3 (midnights) – Wild at Heart (1990). At Nighthawk Cinema.
- New York City, 2/8 – The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971). At the Museum of Modern Art.
- San Francisco, CA, 2/8 – Akira (1988), with a new live score provided by the Firmament. At the Roxie.
- Vancouver, BC, Canada – Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004). At the Rio Theater
Ten Outstanding Weird Movies You’ve Probably Never Heard Of: You have almost certainly heard of all these, but for novices 366’s “Penguin” Pete Trbovich published a list of ten “lesser known” weird movies (all featured on this website) on Imgur. See his choices here.
YOU LINK US! YOU REALLY LINK US!:
The Apple (1980) < Catherine Mary Stewart: Catherine Mary Stewart’s official site considers us one of only three notable resources (along with the IMDB and the Projection Booth’s podcast) for info on The Apple. Proud to be of service!
Letterboxd Guide to 366 Weird Movies: Superfan Val Santos compiled this list of Certified Weird films on the popular social movie site, and went above and beyond by creating guides to our List Candidates, capsule reviews and even the suggestion queue. Wow!
FREE MOVIES ON TUBITV:
Millennium Actress (2001): Read the Certified Weird entry! As we mentioned in our review, ‘s sophomore picture—a mixed-up anime biopic of a fictional Japanese actress—turns up from time to time streaming on free services. Right now, it’s upstart TubiTV’s turn. With minimal commercial interruptions. Watch Millennium Actress free on TubiTV.
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.