Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs and Blu-rays (and hot off the server VODs), and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
IN THEATERS (LIMITED RELEASE):
Double Lover [L’Amant Double] (2017): A woman falls in love with her psychoanalyst and discovers he has a secret. Writer/director
NEW ON HOME VIDEO:
Drag Me to Hell (2009): Read our review. Shout! Factory celebrates brief return to horror with this elaborate two-Blu set that includes an unrated cut of the flick. Buy Drag Me to Hell [Collector’s Edition Blu-ray].
Night of the Living Dead (1968): Read Alfred Eaker’s mini-review. Not so weird, but we thought you’d like to know: the got their hands on this film everyone has already seen, livening it up for Deadheads by exhuming a horde of special features, including never-before-seen workprints and dailies. On DVD and Blu-ray. Buy Night of the Living Dead [Criterion Collection].
Orchestra Rehearsal (1978): An orchestra rehearsal degenerates into squabbling and chaos. Rare Buy Orchestra Rehearsal., a fake documentary made for Italian television featuring Nino Rota’s final score for the director, now on Blu-ray and video-on-demand courtesy of Arrow Academy.
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Chicago, IL, 2/16-2/17 (midnights) – Gummo (1997). At the Music Box Theater.
- Columbus, OH, 2/16-2/19, 2/21 – Pan’s Labyrinth (2006). At Gateway Film Center.
- Denver, CO, 2/20 – Alice [Neco Z Alenky] (1988). 21+, sponsored by Seedstock Brewery with a complimentary flight of beers. At the Alamo Drafthouse.
- Los Angeles, CA, 2/16 – Howl’s Moving Castle (2004). At the Aero Theater.
- Los Angeles, CA, 2/18 – Spirited Away (2001). At the Aero Theater.
- New York City, NY, 2/16-12/18 (midnights) – A Clockwork Orange (1971). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 2/18 – The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover (1989). At Videology Bar & Cinema.
- San Francisco, CA, 2/16 (sold out), 2/19-2/20 – Spirited Away (2001). At the Roxie.
- Yonkers, NY, 2/20 – Belladonna of Sadness (1973), with a post-screening discussion with authors Kristen J. Sollee and Katie Skelly. At the Alamo Drafthouse.
- Yonkers, NY, 2/20 – The Lure [Córki Dancingu] (2015). At the Alamo Drafthouse.
FREE MOVIES ON TUBI.TV:
Stroszek (1977): Read Giles Edwards review. Stick with ‘s quirky drama (featuring many amateur actors) about a drunk street musician, his elderly landlord, and a prostitute who move from Berlin to Wisconsin looking for a better life—it builds to a pretty good dancing chicken. Watch Stroszek on Tubi.tv.
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.