Our weekly look at what’s weird in theaters, on hot-off-the-presses DVDs, and on more distant horizons…
Trailers of new release movies are generally available at the official site links.
IN THEATERS (LIMITED RELEASE):
Birdboy: The Forgotten Children (2015): Read our festival capsule. We’re thrilled that this sad and surreal Spanish animated allegory about drug-abusing animal kids on an economically devastated island got a U.S. release. Birdboy: The Forgotten Children official U.S. site.
NEW ON BLU-RAY:
Donnie Darko (2001): Read the Certified Weird entry! A new collectible release of the bizzaro teen time-travel classic. We believe all the extras are recycled and the only draw is the collectible steelbook format and new artwork; at any rate, it’s limited to 2,000 copies. Buy Donnie Darko [Limited Edition Steelbook Blu-ray].
CERTIFIED WEIRD (AND OTHER) REPERTORY SCREENINGS:
- Chicago, Il., 12/18-12/19 – Batman Returns (1992). Double feature with The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993). At the Music Box Theater.
- Columbus, OH, 12/19-12/21 – Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971). At Gateway Film Center.
- New York City, NY, 12/15-12/16 (midnights) – House [Hausu] (1977). At Videology Bar & Cinema.
- New York City, NY, 12/15-12/16 (midnights) – Suspiria (1977). At IFC Center.
- New York City, NY, 12/15, 12/17-12/20 – Howl’s Moving Castle (2004). At IFC Center.
- Tuscon, AZ, 12/20 – Pan’s Labyrinth (2006). At the Loft Cinema.
What are you looking forward to? If you have any weird movie leads that I have overlooked, feel free to leave them in the COMMENTS section.